This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read my full disclosure for more information.
In this recipe, I demonstrate the ingredients, materials, time, as well as the steps on how to cook eggplants with tomatoes and eggs appetizer. It is a Persian dish and/or dip called Mirza Ghasemi.
As usual, it is actually very flavourful, hearty, and surprisingly a healthy dish if you fry the ingredients with olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
Mirza Ghasemi can be an appetizer or even a main dish, depending on how you serve it. It could be a dipping sauce for bread or you can add it on top of your white rice!
Either way, it’s delicious and easy to make!
- Large eggplants (2-4)
- Garlic (1 head)
- Eggs (4)
- Tomatoes (2 large) or a can tomato paste (156mL)
- Olive oil
- Grounded pink salt
- Grounded black pepper
- Grounded Turmeric spice
- Basmati white rice
- Bread (baguette, pita, or naan)
- Baking time: 30-45 min
- Preparing time: 30 min
- Total time: 1 hour
- Put your whole eggplants on an aluminum baking tray
- Put them in the oven at 420F
- Leave the eggplants in for 30 to 45 min
- You need to bake them in order to get the eggplants soft and be able to peel off the eggplant’s skin
- In the meanwhile, clean 1 whole garlic head and chop the cloves into pieces
- You can also prepare your rice in the meanwhile if you wish to serve it as a dish with the eggplant!
- After 30-45min, take out your eggplants and let them cool down for 5 minutes
- Then, using your fingers or with the aid of a knife, gently peel the exterior skin of the eggplant from the top to bottom
- Make sure you only skin the outer layer
- Then, cut off the top ends of the eggplants
- Using a knife and a cutting board, cut your large eggplants into small cube-like pieces
- With the help of some olive oil, fry your garlic into a large pan
- Then add your cube-like pieces of eggplant to fry next
- You can also add a little bit of water if you find that your eggplants are not soft “mushy” enough from when you cooked them in the oven
- If the eggplant pieces are still too hard, you can let them cook a bit by putting the lid onto your pan
- When everything is fried and the eggplants are soft and mushy in the pan;
- Make sure that everything is cooked and condensed, that the pan has no more water before adding in the eggs
- Eggs are the last ingredients to cook in this recipe
- Add your 4 eggs in the pan and mix them in until they are fully cooked
- Then serve your eggplants with tomatoes and eggs appetizer with white rice and/or bread
I hope you enjoyed this tasty Persian recipe. Mirza Ghasemi (Eggplants with Tomatoes and Eggs Appetizer) is amazing to serve to your guests before the main course of your dinner.
You can serve it with baguette bread or pita bread and sit back as you watch your guests hungrily dip in their naan breads in the dip-like appetizer.
For eggplant lovers, you can serve Mirza Ghasemi over traditional basmati white rice which makes for a delicious and fulfilling meal.